A property is a characteristic of an asset or collection: for example, creation date or publication status.
They can be used for the following purposes:
- To enrich your content: you can describe an asset so that when browsed, users can view different information about that asset. It can be a caption, which describes the asset's content, or geolocation, specifying the place where the asset was created geographically. Other properties can be created as more specific characteristics for your business.
- Properties are crucial for searching assets and collections in Picvario. It is much easier to find an asset using the values of certain properties, while properties of the tag type allow you to search for similar assets with literally one click.
Where properties come from:
- From original asset files, containing metadata initially. These can be filled in automatically, such as photo metadata, or they can be added manually by the creator of the file. With Picvario, it is possible either to read this information from original files or, alternatively, fill files with data entered into the system.
- Users can fill property values directly in the system, using one of these options:
- Fill in while importing if this option has been configured by the administrator
- Using the right panel for each individual asset/collection
- Using an existing property template or creating your own template which then can be used for filling the properties of one or more assets